Saturday, April 04, 2009

Important Update
It's been a long time since I've updated this blog. But something came up that was important enough to bring me out of hiding.

I have a difficult decision to make on the horizon, and one of the best descriptions I've heard on extroverts is that we draw energy from discussing things with others. On one hand, I think I know what needs to be done. However, the more I talk things through, the more secure I am in an unsecure state.

To move on from preamble, the situation is this: We have some great neighbors. But we also have some terrible neighbors that have been making our lives difficult. Until recently, we've turned the other cheek.
But it's gotten worse. The people who already lived here were bad enough, but there's constantly new people moving in. In one case, I'm not sure if they just moved in, or have started hanging around, but the other day, a couple of guys were up to no good and started making trouble in the neighborhood. I got in one little fight and Marie got scared. She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'.

*****?

*****?

For some people, you're probably thinking, what? Did he just bust out "Fresh Prince" lyrics? If you're a nerd like me, you may have heard of goofy internet pranks like Rickrolling or the Bel-Air schtick. In the case of Bel-Air thing, the goal is to get someone engrossed in something you are saying, only to end by saying that you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air. It's purely to waste their time, and some people have written massive emails/posts/whatever that is all just a prelude to nonsense.

In the case of Rickrolling, which might be even funnier, you post or send a link that appears to be related to whatever you are talking about, but is in fact a link to Rick Astley singing "Never going to give you up." It's happened to me several times and I still think it's pretty hilarious.

These internet pranks have been around for a few years and have been further evolving. After the third time I had stumbled into one of these things, I had to look it up on online to find out more about it. You can get a more detailed background at wikipedia here. It's a pretty funny read if you want to check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/internetmemes.

2 comments:

The Wise Family said...

never gonna give, never gonna give....

Jason said...

I can't believe I got Rickrolled on a post about Rickrolling.

Well done.