Dear Tribe,
You know I love you, but it's been 10 years, and I have to ask myself, is this relationship going anywhere? Sure I was attracted to your powerful hitting back in '95 - you were this team that all the other fans wanted to be with, but you were mine. However, I knew that deep down you could be more than just timely hitting, more than nine grown men with a pretty swing. I committed to you then, and even after a couple years ending in disappointment, we were so close. I still felt you could be the team I wanted you to be. If only you could open up and learn how to pitch.
Every April, you promised things would be different, and I believed you- again and again. You gave me promise, you made changes, but they only lasted for a few months. Your colors changed in October along with the leaves, and there I was with a team unwilling to commit to my needs.
Even when you hit rock bottom in '02-'04, when you were a different team, I stayed by your side. You gave up some of your best traits, but you assured me it was for the best. You assured me that it was for us. I stuck by you even then, though it was hard on me. I was no longer a young fan, willing to paint my face and buy scalped tickets. I had given you my best years, and felt I had to see it through.
In 2005, I thought things had finally changed. Suddenly, you were able to pitch and I began to see the realization of my dreams. Oh, but be careful what you wish for. You were a different team, acting young and impressionable. And the thing that first brought us together, timely hitting was gone down the stretch. It may be shallow, but you've let yourself go, and without hitting, I'm just not as attracted to you.
Once again disappointed, I realize it has been 10 years, and no ring. As a team, will you ever be able to give me the commitment I need? Can you commit to winning by resigning Millwood and Belliard? Can you commit to bolstering our lineup with one more big bat? I've always overlooked the fact that you make less money than other teams- money certainly isn't everything. But I know you can do better than a $40 million payroll.
I realize now that we need to take some time apart to sort things out. It will be good for both of us. Perhaps by next April you can get yourself together. Until then, I'll be staying with the Browns.
Love,
Cleveland
Monday, October 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"You know I love you, but it's been 10 years"....wait until it's fifty-one years... *sigh*
Post a Comment