Some fun facts about Lily's roots. She's Swedish. Well, 1/8th Swedish.
I know that's a pretty small fraction. If Lily was a recipe and you were asked to add 1/8th cup Swedish, you'd probably just eyeball it. Of course that runs the risk of tasting way too Swedish. (Too little and she might taste too Jewish - did I tell you I'm a quarter Jewish?)

Of course Lily's not a recipe, and I'm not going to bite her. It is tempting, but like a candle that smells so good you want to lick it, you know you'll just be disappointed and the clerk will make you buy it.
But I digress. In Swedish, Mor means mother. Far means father. Using simple arithmetic, a mother's mother is Mor Mor. The father's mother is Far Mor.
Although my mother should be Far Mor, we liked the sound of Mor Mor better, so that's what we call her since Marie's mother is going to go with the traditional "grandma". If she changes her mind later, they can arm wrestle for the rights to Swedish titles.

Anyways, Mor Mor came home for the holidays and here she is reading Lily a bedtime story. Lily enjoyed the event thoroughly. We're very glad to have mom home for the holidays, and hopefully there will be many more bedtime stories while she is here.
As a side note, Lili in Swedish means "small". Thus, Lily's literal translation in her 1/8th native tongue is "Little Marie". Because she looks so much like her mother, I think it fits.
3 comments:
hee hee. my daughter is so cute. and speaking of recipe, that fits as I often slip and say that I need to EAT her instead of FEED her.
Little Marie is right. OH MY GOODNESS, is it ever. I know just what she'll look like circa 2 years of age wearing a bikini at the pool... : )
i think she's more than 1/8th Swedish... don't we have some Swedish roots, too?
What a dear little girl... and I love the Daily Show-esque graphs.
(sorry, I'm signed into blogger as Pastor Katherine as I was working on the SBCC blog earlier. So you have the formal title.)
Post a Comment