Checking my queue on Netflix, I see a lot of things from Marie and I that I have a varying degree of interest in watching. I decided to come up with a rating system to describe them.
The following rates my interest in watching any particular movie.
Note: The movies shown below aren't in our queue, but gives you an idea of what kinds of movies I'm talking about.
1- No freaking way, under no circumstances
2- I'd really rather not, it would have to be considered penance for something I did.
2- I'd really rather not, it would have to be considered penance for something I did.3- I'm only doing it because I want something and I'm trying to butter Marie up (or her birthday or something, but if this is her plan, I'm going to suggest "girl's night".
4- I assume I'm not going to like it, and not committed for the full 90 minutes, but maybe there's a favorite actor or interesting premise, or a recommendation from a family member. Lots of Indie movies start here, some are great, some are... weird. A lot of horror flicks also start here. There's a time and place for them and I assume they'll bad. They usually are.
4- I assume I'm not going to like it, and not committed for the full 90 minutes, but maybe there's a favorite actor or interesting premise, or a recommendation from a family member. Lots of Indie movies start here, some are great, some are... weird. A lot of horror flicks also start here. There's a time and place for them and I assume they'll bad. They usually are.
5- Eh... Take it or leave it. An excuse to eat popcorn. Many "5's" are movies that are fairly popular, but for some reason don't excite me. They get a viewing just to make sure there's nothing wrong with me. My desire to watch Napolean Dynamite the first time was a "5". My desire to watch it again is a "1".Settle down rabid Napolean fans!! The common response I get is, "You need to watch it a couple times. It grows on you."
Well, so does fungus. A movie gets one chance to be terrible.
"Wow, I really didn't like that. I can't wait to find another 90 minutes so I can watch it again."
6- Premise is up my alley. But I assume it's stupid. Most immature comedies (American Pie) land here. I'll probably rent it unless I hear terrible things.My Netflix queu is littered with sophomoric comedies, and even if they have scrolling text at the bottom of the screen saying "This movie is really dumb" I'd still watch it.
7- I'm 75% sure that it's going to be good. Unfortunately I've wasted a lot of picks on 7's over the years, as I'm sure Marie would attest."Sorry hon, the previews looked good."
7 is the minimum requirement to see in the theatre. (Unless I have a rare date night with the wife and we're going to see a movie if it kills us.)
Swords or Spaceships are an automatic 7 regardless of how good it ends up being. I want to see it.
One last note on 7's. Many movies sell themselves as being similar to other movies I love and this often gets them up to 7, and then I regret it later.
"Animal House for the 90's" "Better than Usual Suspects" "Non stop Matrix-esque action" "Like Brokeback Mountain, but without all the gay stuff"
Yep... I bet those are terrible.
8- 8's typically have some actors we like, combined with a premise that looks good. By the time it's an 8, I'm pretty confident I'll like it, and if I don't, it's a major betrayal.Sometimes 8's are dangerous when you have too much hype, and even a good movie can let you down when you expect the world. I probably have just as many 8's that disappoint as 4's that blow my mind.
9- Premise and actors I really like, plus good buzz or testimonial from a friend. I'd really like to catch it in the theatre. I'll live if I miss it on the big screen, but I'll keep my eyes posted for the DVD release.
10- I've been waiting forever for this movie to be made. I regularly read info about it online. Want to see it opening night and wish I owned a Tshirt related to this. The next 10 for me is Transformers. I bet it's Harry Potter for Marie.My choice in 10's usually costs me street cred as I reveal my inner nerd.


6 comments:
Hee hee hee. This is the best rating system I've ever seen. Though I have to say, if you are wishing for a Transformer movie t-shirt, you are much nerdier than I previously suspected.
Your 2, 7, 8, and 10 are all 1's and 2's for me... but that's why you should never, ever take movie recommendations from me, even if Stranger than Fiction is a definite number 1. I still stand by Even Cowgirls Get the Blues!!
you know recently dirty dancing was for sale at HMV (do you have that in the states?) for just $6. that's a good deal.
and bmmswpt: bum scooching across the floor as a method of sweeping.
I agree with Elizabeth, great rating system...and the Transformer t-shirt?
How can you not love Ace Ventura and as you already know...I love Napoleon and have seen it dozens of times. Gosh!!!
By the way my word verification is eeloe. It's a new species of aquatic life found in the deepest depths of the ocean.
I've never seen steel magnolias, nor will i ever allow myself to be subjected to such a film, although i have seen Pride and Prejudice (bbc & american versions) many many times. After each viewing I feel like wearing fuzzy slippers and waxing my eyebrows (everytime) please SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!
Post a Comment